Saturday, March 14, 2009

A bittersweet moment


I am going to chime in with a few age old adages, "Time flies, kids get old fast, enjoy it while you can." Let me just say, that while they are all true, it kinda sucks.

Yes, I said it. It does suck. Because you vacillate between loving seeing them grow up and lamenting that they will never be 7 again. Or 3. Or 2. Or, a crying little infant. And, to all the sleepless moms out there, I am sorry. I have been there. I have done it. I probably hated it. But, the key word is "probably" because my memory is so short that I may turn back time if I were given the option.

So, my kid is 13. He is taller than me. He wears cologne. His shoes are a size 11. He has a laugh that makes him seem like a man. He says things that I have not told him. When he is quiet, a simple question will just not do. And, when he blows it on a court or a field, I am totally NOT allowed to run out and save him.

We attended a basketball team party tonight. I dropped him off and returned 30 minutes later. Wouldn't you know, he hadn't yet eaten a thing. But, readily accepted a plate I prepared for him.

Yay! He still needs me.


1 comment:

mama2hana_ty said...

Hi Sunshine. Well written truths. When I see your handsome son hug you, it melts my heart (because it's beautiful) and makes me laugh (because he dwarfs you). I know that Ty will have to go work at a supermarket or be a butcher b/c we can barely afford to satiate Mark's appetite & Ty is proving he will also someday eat me out of house and home & dwarf me. Keep up the Good-God-work mom. I see the payoff already & it's inspiring.