Sunday, March 1, 2009

A suprise: this still happens somewhere in America



My daughter and her friend set up a lemonade stand today. There was a little hesitation in her voice when she queried me about the idea. But, since it was at least 85 degrees today and playing Mario Cart was her current activity, I said "why not?"


As you can see from the picture, these girls dove in head first. It looked like a pretty legit operation. I must say a few things about this that brought me joy.


-it is really sweet and nostalgic that this can still happen in SoCal


-when Jer and I walked down to take the pic, my formerly "shy" girl was very boisterously hawking lemonade to passing cars


-at one point, there was a crowd of neighborhood kids hanging out. ahhh, feels like a small town in Nebraska


-a passing firetruck stopped, bought a lemonade and gave the girls stickers (an apparent highlight according to them)


-each girl made 11 bucks! Jer jokingly said, "keep setting up until the city shuts you down" (or taxes you...he added


As a parent of a teen and pre-teen, I am always happy when my kids find activities to entertain themselves. Or, should I say, do something that is a bit reminscent of "when I was a kid" without me having to say "when I was a kid".


By the way, I took my two little dogs to visit the lemonade stand and my hubby rode my sons' bike alongside. We were VERY midwest...which you know I love! :)

3 comments:

Nancy White said...

Love this. That is so cool that the lemonade stand is alive in well here in So. Cal. Long live the lemonade stand! Good job, girls!

Kerry said...

The last time I saw a pic like this of Jeremy was on Venice Beach...remember? :)

And YAY for Gracie!!!! She should do that every weekend....people will start looking forward to it with those 2 cutie little girls serving them.

mama2hana_ty said...

We need more lemonade stands!!! So cool you did that with Grace. I did one with Hana last year at our old place in La Costa. People were so moved, they gave her $ just for doing it and looking so cute and waving down cars. GO GRACY! Sunshine, how to I subscribe to your blog? i can't find out how??!! I looked all over....