Saturday, April 4, 2009

An addendum

Addendum: a thing to be added

I would like to add to the application of my last post. As you may remember, I am being challenged in my relationship with my daughter. She is very much like me and likes to have things planned out and solutions to those plans.

When there are not simple and IMMEDIATE solutions to those plans, the result is often frustration.

A story from this past week:
Grace had a project due this last Friday. She, like me, does not like when deadlines loom in the future. It tends to consume her and seep into other facets of her life.

Myself, when I am prepping for people coming over, or planning an event or simply looking at the dust all over my house, my frustration leaks into my everyday life.

So, for the past two weeks, I have been listening to the repetative: 'Mom, I have to work on my project.' 'Mom, can you help me with this?' 'Mom, this looks horrible.' 'Mom, this looks great.' 'Mom, let's paint this, print that, sew this, do that.' etc. Mom, mom, mom.

And, since I have things to do and stuff going on, quite often her edginess would greet my edginess and things would not go well. I would look her in the eye and think, 'oh my.' Or, I would wag my finger and threaten that 'you cannot talk to me or demand that from me little missy.'

Fully convicted, I took my last memory verse to heart. "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap what we harvest."

As the project deadline loomed, Grace had a meltdown of a night. In a moment of cowardice, I sent Jeremy in to put out the fire. Unfortunately, he fanned the flame. It was 9:45pm and peaceful sleep was the primary objective at this point.

In a moment that could have only come from God, I went to Grace's room, bent down close and voiced this promise. "Tomorrow morning, I will get up 45 minutes before you and do all of the things I need to do. I will run, shower, eat breakfast and pack your lunch. Then, when you get up, I will focus on everything YOU need to do. We will button up your project and get the final things in order."

I would pay money to have been able to capture the look on her face in that moment. Crocodile tears still in her eyes, a smile crept across her face. 'Ok' she said. That was it. That was all she needed.

The next morning, we walked a fine line. It wasn't all roses and giggles but, it was a victory. We all got out the door in relative calm with smiles on our faces. And thankfully, I did not give up doing good because I am looking to the harvest.

No comments: