Friday, May 15, 2009

An epidemic?

I went to lunch at Souplantation today. Since I was by myself I think I noticed everyone around me much more than usual. (Yes, I ate alone. Quite enjoyable really. I took a book.) Normally, I would be happily chatting with a friend in the line explaining my LOVE of beets. I honestly go to Souplantation for the beets and the ice cream.


Anyway, it was the height of the lunch hour and both lines were filled to the end. As I was grabbing my tray, a family of three ducked under my arm and hopped in line. Seriously, they ducked under me. I thought they were kidding but, they weren't.


Then, as I was filling my tray, I could not help watching this guy on the other side of the line who was apparently on the brink of starvation. He ate off his plate the entire time he was in line. Frankly, I was a bit disgusted.

Here is when I blow it as a Christian; as a person. I will say right up front that I am pretty sure this is wrong but, it is something I wrestle with. I am appalled at the gluttony of people. Yes, it is a buffet but, come on! And, I am not sure if the whole 'I am eating salad so, I can eat alot and it is okay' mentality is at work. But, I was tempted to tap a few people on the shoulder and give them a quick calorie count. They might be shocked. I KNOW I am not supposed to judge. Like I said, this is something I wrestle with.

So, my lunch turned out to be less than enjoyable. I feel somewhat guilty that I am a part of such an over-consuming culture. And, I know I am an equal opportunity consumer. I definitely make my footprint on the earth in some areas and am honestly not trying to be high and mighty.

I just think I need to go get my beets and ice cream elsewhere.

No comments: