Wednesday, May 27, 2009

An accident

I am going to attempt to describe my Tuesday afternoon drama as best I can. As you may know, I talk with my hands and tend to be dramatic and descriptive, especially with a story like this one. This may be quite a challenge to my creative writing ability.

I was sitting at a stoplight right outside the church office at 2:29pm. I know the exact time because my kids get out at 2:25 and I was late. No surprise there. And, Noah likes me to be on time. If you happen to know the actual distance between my house, the kids' school and the church, you may be thinking: "why don't those lazy kids walk?" Those are my thoughts pretty much every day. But, being the accomodationg mother I am, I like to spare them the 150 yards to the church or, the 1/2 mile (at most) trek home.

I was facing south crossing over San Marcos Boulevard with theMovement behind me. I remember glancing at the guy in the little Toyota pick-up to my left. I always look at who is next to me while I wait at that light because 90% of the time, I know them. And, this truck is also significant because it plays a huge part in sparing my life or serious injury at best. As he and I both enter the intersection when the light turns green, he immediately slams on his brakes.

As a total reaction to the squeal of his tires, I follow suit and in the same moment realize why I am slamming on my brakes. Approaching from my left, heading westbound, is a Ford F-150 clearly ignoring the red light. IMPACT.

There is that moment when something happens in a flash and it almost seems slow motion. I can remember the sound and see the tearing of metal. What I cannot FORGET is the sight of the Ford going airborne. As I watch, the truck hits a Lincoln Aviator that is in the left hand turn lane, facing east, coming into the church parking. That second impact flips the truck and it lands squarely upside down on the median. The truck literally T-bones the median and the cab is completely flattened. The windows shatter and then everything stops.

Stops in time. I am not hurt in the least bit. Not then, not the next day, not ever.

In the next moment, I think: "Oh my God, he's dead."

Instinctively, I get out of my car and look around dumbfounded. This is one of those total out of body moments where you know you look really confused and ridiculous. I start turning in circles, in the middle of an extremely busy intersection and yelling for someone to call 911. (Always so bossy)

I get my phone out of my car thinking: "Oh, I can call 911". But then, the adrenaline kicks in and my hands begin to shake so terribly simply pushing a button is out of the question. (I have actually had this dream before) Somehow, I call the church office, which is a mere 100 yards away and yell hysterically at my friend Christine. The only words she deciphers are "husband" and "crash".

As I am on the phone, a young man comes running up to me. "Mam, are you okay?" He is barefoot and wearing boardshorts and a t-shirt. I assure him that I am okay and ask him who is in the truck?

"I was driving the truck." says the barefoot boy in the boardshorts standing clearly before me.

At this point, I am totally shocked. Which is probably an understatement. As he points to two small scratches on his arm and the faint hint of a little blood, the reality of the situation hits and I start yelling at him. "You did this. You ran the red light." Of course this is obvious to him and he has no idea that my accusation and urgency is because I rear-ended someone 2 years ago and am making certain that this was in no way MY fault.

"My bad ma'm, my bad."

Hmmm...bad is certainly an understatement. Right here is when Jeremy arrives on the scene and his initial reaction was not so bueno. Needless to say, upon seeing my car and me standing in the middle of the street, it was a struggle for him to keep his hands at his side. (This is something we both come to regret by the end of the day. We really wish we could have talked to him and his parents when the dust settled and conveyed our thankfulness for the miracle of no injuries. But, that is probably a whole other post.)

So, the police came, the firetruck came and an ambulance. And finally, a tow truck. My van ended up being a total loss. Other than obvious collateral damage, no one was injured and cars can be replaced.

The answers to all the questions are: Yes, I am okay. Yes, my angel was on high alert. Yes, it could have been much worse. Yes, I was lucky (some say blessed). And, thanks for all your care and support.
My car:

His truck being flipped right side:
Good-bye:

2 comments:

mick mcginty said...

Wow. Great description. Gave me chills all over again. I had to google a map of the Movement to realize the Church was on the north side of San Marcos Blvd.You are so lucky!I can just see Jeremy out there trying to find the culprit.

Kerry said...

lucky? not......blessed beyond measure!!! Praise God!