Saturday, June 6, 2009

A Run

I ran along the beach today. 5 and a half miles. A little too far for this treadmill gal but, some law somewhere says that the distance you travel AWAY from your car is the distance you travel BACK to your car. I am not sure what I was thinking. Maybe the dilemma was in the lack of thinking.

A little background without going into too many details. The drama and decisions surrounding church life has been extraordinary lately. Way too many things to consider and alot on the line. Needless to say, I have been in countless meetings and discussions for lots 'o days. And, today started with meeting #1 at 7:30am.

So, by the time I set out to take my son to his sports training at 10:30, I was beat. Emotionally tanked. Mentally spent. I missed my usual spin class this morning so I was physically frustrated. As I headed out the door, I grabbed a bible study, a mindlesss fiction book and dressed for a run, just in case.

As I drove to my destination, the mindless read and possible nap in the car was winning the mental debate in my head. But, the moment I parked my car, getting outside suddenly sounded like a good idea. A quick walk now sounded like a good idea.

Well, the walk quickly became a run and I ran and ran and ran and ran and ran. And, as silly as it sounds, it was MY run.

When someone passed me, I kept MY pace. When I got tired, I kept MY pace. When I was weary and far away from my car, I kept MY pace.

As I ran, the methodical rhythmn of my shoes soothed my confused my mind. The meetings and decisions were on hold. And, the goal became the movement.

The rest of the day followed the moving along theme. A meeting or two more and a decision that altered my life. Altered for the good. Maybe I should run with abandon more often.

1 comment:

j said...

I love this! Amen.. here.. I'm gonna be cheesy and say it.. run more!!!!!!